Bakersfield Bicycle Accident Lawyer
In Bakersfield, biking is a popular activity. The city throws many biking events throughout the year and offers many bike paths for residents. However, while many bikers love Bakersfield’s bike-friendly infrastructure, there are still major safety concerns that must be addressed. Each year, many people are injured or killed from bike accidents.
In the wake of a bike accident, it can be overwhelming to navigate the insurance process and file a personal injury claim. Unfortunately, any misstep can result in a reduced settlement. If you have been in a bicycle accident in Bakersfield, it is important to obtain legal advice from a skilled personal injury lawyer. Specifically, an experienced bicycle accident lawyer can provide you with valuable knowledge and insight into the personal injury claim process.
When cyclists and cars collide, the fault is usually assigned to the driver. Drivers usually fail to keep an active eye for oncoming bikers or are unaware of certain road laws specific to biker rights. While bike accidents can occur as a result of many factors, some of the most common causes of bike accidents in Bakersfield include:
- Distracted driving. Distracted driving is one of the most common causes of bike accidents. When drivers are texting, eating, or changing the radio, they can easily fail to see an oncoming biker.
- Driving under the influence. Drivers that are under the influence of alcohol or drugs lack the ability to control their motor skills, and therefore, put everyone on the road at risk.
- Driving too close to bikers. Since 2014, California drivers are required to leave at least three feet of space between their vehicle and any biker that rides next to them.
- Opening a door without checking for oncoming bikers. When drivers open their doors without checking to see if there is a biker approaching, they can hit a biker and eject them from their seat.
- Bike or car defects. Any defects in a car or bike can cause either vehicle to operate at an unsafe capacity.
If you have been injured in a bicycle accident, there are important actions you should take to set yourself up for a successful legal process. Some essential steps to take include:
- Seek medical attention. Even if you don’t have any obvious injuries, it is important to make an appointment with your doctor, as some conditions have a delayed onset.
- File a police report. After a bike accident, some people choose not to call the police— this is a big mistake. If you choose to file a personal injury claim, a police report will provide essential evidence, such as the date, location, and description of the accident.
- Save medical bills and other documentation. If you have expenses in the form of medical bills or bike repairs from your accident, be sure to save the receipts.
- Collect evidence from the scene. If you can, use your phone to take pictures of the crash and any damages to your bicycle.
Without following these essential steps, developing a strong personal injury claim can be a challenge. To best navigate the aftermath of a bike accident, it is essential to consult with a skilled personal injury lawyer.
A common mistake in bike accidents is overconfidence. Many bikers who have been in an accident assume that by simply filing an insurance claim, it will be easy to collect proper compensation. Often, this is not the case. Insurance companies fight hard to pay as little as possible. Even if you were clearly “in the right,” insurance companies will attempt to settle for far less than you deserve.
When you contact a Bakersfield bike accident attorney, they will help heal faster by introducing you to doctors experienced at treating bike accidents. These doctors will accurately document your damages which allows you to realize the true value of your injuries. These records will be presented to the insurance company and or a Jury if necessary.
Adamson Ahdoot is a personal injury law firm headquartered in Los Angeles that is known for helping clients successfully win personal injury claims. With more than 100 years of collective experience, our skilled attorneys are dedicated to standing up for people who have been the victims of devastating accidents. We consider it an honor that our clients entrust their case to our firm. When you trust our attorneys with your personal injury claim, you can expect unwavering support.
To schedule a free consultation with one of our skilled lawyers, call today at (877) 871-3265 or fill out our online contact form.