5 Common Types of Truck Accidents in California
We’ve all seen large trucks traversing California highways and interstates. The trucking industry is a necessary part of everyday life, from providing essential public services for citizens to delivering raw materials to manufacturers. Businesses of all sizes depend on trucks to maintain fast distribution times and deliver products safely. But vehicles of such weight, mass, and force pose a threat to motorists in passenger vehicles. When an accident does occur, there’s a high risk of catastrophic injury. In fact, nearly 22 percent of all truck accidents result in catastrophic injuries or deaths each year.
It’s important to be aware of the most common types of truck accidents that you might encounter on the road. We’ll discuss some facts and figures you should bear in mind.
The Most Common Types of Truck Accidents in California
Truck accidents can occur for a variety of reasons, including negligent truck drivers, poor vehicle maintenance, and the inability for passenger cars to maneuver around larger vehicles. Here are just a few of the most common types of accidents you may encounter:
- Jackknife: Jackknifing occurs when a big rig folds into itself such that the cab forms a 90-degree angle with the trailer. This type of accident usually happens when a truck driver brakes too suddenly or their brakes lock up, which causes the trailer to swing out. A jackknifing truck can easily overturn or roll-over, potentially causing a huge roadway obstacle.
- Wide turn collisions: When a driver swings to make a turn, it’s known as a wide turn. Often, negligent truck drivers don’t account for the length of their vehicle and the rear traffic behind them when they make these turns. As a result, cars and even pedestrians can get trapped.
- Truck rollovers: If the truck driver loses control of the vehicle—whether it be from fast speeds, steep inclines, or slippery surfaces—it can roll over onto its side and endanger other drivers and pedestrians.
- T-bone accidents: When the front of one vehicle crashes into the side of another, it’s known as a T-bone accident. This often occurs when truck drivers run a red light and hit another vehicle perpendicularly.
- Tire blowout: You can see the remnants of tire blowouts—scraps of black rubber on the shoulder or in the middle of the lane—all across California’s major roads. When a truck’s tire blows out, it can cause the vehicle to lose control and crash into other unassuming drivers and pedestrians.
It’s not uncommon to encounter a truck that’s been a part of an accident along your local highway or interstate. Crashes of this nature occur more often than you might think because of these vehicles’ sheer size, length, and inability to maneuver as quickly as other automobiles.
If you’ve been in an accident involving a truck, it’s important that you hire a professional attorney who can help you get the compensation you need to pay for medical bills, property damage, lost wages, and psychological trauma. Likewise, call the police and consider visiting a medical professional immediately after the events of the crash, even if everyone is cooperative and you think your injuries may be relatively minor. When it’s time to get compensation from the at-fault party, it will be essential to have official documentation outlining the events of the crash.
Common Truck Accident Injuries in California
An accident involving a truck is almost always more hazardous than an accident between two passenger vehicles. It’s not uncommon for accidents of this nature to result in catastrophic and life-threatening injuries. Here are a few of the most common:
- Back and neck injuries
- Broken bones
- Head injuries
- Internal injuries
- Rib and torso injuries
- Seat belt injuries
- Spinal cord injuries and paralysis
Damage can occur for any number of reasons, from distracted driving and improper training to equipment malfunctions and inadequate loading. If you’ve been injured as a result of a truck accident in California, consider contacting a credible attorney who can help you get the compensation you need to pay off your current and future medical expenses.
Consult an Expert California Truck Accident Attorney
If you’ve been injured as a result of a truck accident, you may be facing serious injury or, at the very least, a severely damaged vehicle. It’s important that you get the compensation you deserve from the at-fault truck driver. That’s where we come in. At Adamson Ahdoot, our lawyers know how to help clients obtain maximum compensation to cover their lost income, bills, and future medical expenses.
Adamson Ahdoot is an esteemed, California-based personal injury law firm with the expertise to help clients get the reimbursement they deserve, no matter the cause. With over 100 years of collective experience, our team of esteemed attorneys is here to help fight for your rights. For a free consultation, give us a call at (877) 871-3265 or complete our contact form today.
Above all else, our clients come first. We go above and beyond to obtain the highest level of compensation possible.Meet Our Attorneys
Multi-Focus Law Firm
Adamson | Ahdoot has successfully executed a plethora of personal injury cases.Cases We Handle
Get in touch with our firm
Our team can better advise you on your legal options once we receive any available evidence about the incident.Take Action Now