How to File for Out-of-State Car Accident Claims - Adamson Ahdoot

California Legal Blog

Out-of-State Car Accident: What if My Accident Happened Outside of California?

August 25, 2023 Alan Ahdoot
Home » Blog » Out-of-State Car Accident: What if My Accident Happened Outside of California?

Traveling beyond state lines for business or leisure often involves driving. However, this convenience can come with a higher risk of getting into an out-of-state car accident, especially on unfamiliar roads. 

Discover essential steps to take if you find yourself in such a situation. Learn where to file a claim and understand the complexities of insurance for an out-of-state car accident.

What is an Out-of-State Car Accident?

Vehicular collisions involving non-local drivers constitute out-of-state accidents. 

In such situations, it’s crucial not to flee the scene and to cooperate with authorities to secure proper compensation for your injuries. 

Here’s what to do after a car accident:

Seek Medical Attention

Check yourself and other passengers for injuries. If conscious, call 911. If seriously injured, wait for emergency responders.

Take Pictures of the Scene

If you’re able to, and it’s safe, take photos to document the accident scene while waiting for the police. These pictures are crucial evidence for your claim.

Exchange Contact Information

Share contact details with other involved drivers and passengers. Gather names, phone numbers, addresses, and insurance information.

Talk to the Witnesses

Speak to witnesses who saw or heard the crash. Their impartial perspectives can be valuable evidence.

Notify Your Insurance Company

Inform your insurer about the accident to ease financial burdens for medical bills, repairs, and costs.

Contact a Personal Injury Lawyer

Seek legal counsel as soon as possible. A personal injury attorney helps with communication, evidence gathering, and negotiation.

What Happens If I Get In an Out-of-State Car Accident?

Outcomes vary based on the state’s fault system. In a comparative fault system like California, both parties can claim compensation based on their fault degree. 

For no-fault states, personal injury protection insurance covers minor injuries’ medical bills and lost wages.

Where To File a Personal Injury Claim

When dealing with a car collision outside your state, you have two options for filing a personal injury claim. Firstly, you can bring a lawsuit in your home state. Alternatively, you can opt to file the claim in the state where the accident occurred.

If the accident involves a driver from a truck company, you have the choice to sue either the company where the accident happened or directly in the location where the business operates.

Insurance claims remain consistent across the United States. For instance, if you bought your car in California but had an accident in Florida, your insurance policy still covers you. The process mirrors filing for an in-state accident.

a policewoman talking to a man riding in a car
Out-of-state car crash victims can file a lawsuit where the accident occurred.

Out-of-State Car Accident Jurisdiction

Navigating car crashes beyond California may involve consulting an attorney from the accident’s state. 

If the incident transpired in California but involved a non-resident driver, jurisdiction remains in the state. The state’s authority extends to non-residents, including out-of-state drivers. Equally, the defendant must comply with the accident state’s regulations.

Should damages surpass $1,000, out-of-state drivers need to report to the California Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV) within 10 days of the incident. 

According to California law, out-of-state drivers should maintain these coverage amounts:

  • $15,000 for each person injured or killed in the crash
  • $30,000 for two or more people in one accident
  • $5,000 for property damages

Statute of Limitations for Car Accidents

The timeframe for filing a lawsuit can span one to six years, contingent on the state of the car collision. It’s imperative to adhere to this window and initiate the lawsuit within it.

Hire a Car Accident Lawyer at Adamson Ahdoot

Even if your car accident happened outside California, our skilled lawyers at Adamson Ahdoot can guide your case effectively. With over 100 years of combined legal experience, we’re here to help you get the compensation you deserve.

Call us at (800) 310-1606 for a free consultation with a premier injury attorney. We offer consultations in both English and Spanish for your convenience.

Client-First Approach

Above all else, our clients come first. We go above and beyond to obtain the highest level of compensation possible.

Meet Our Attorneys

Multi-Focus Law Firm

Adamson Ahdoot has successfully executed a plethora of personal injury cases.

Cases We Handle

Get in touch with our firm

Our team can better advise you on your legal options once we receive any available evidence about the incident.

Take Action Now